Monday, December 11, 2006

About Me

I left fundamentalist Christianity for good one-and-a-half years ago. The journey of deprogramming my mind from the black-and-white thinking has been painful and traumatic, and it is still going on.

I was religious my entire life, so in order to create a new belief system, I thought I would join a movement that was more modern and less severe than Christianity. In May 2005 I attended my last service at a main-stream Christian church, the following Sunday I went to a Unity Church--just for something to do. I wasn't prepared for what I found. Everything sounded heretic to me. But I also felt accepted unconditionally, and the belief system seemed like something I could use.

For my taste, the Unity church overly uses both the Bible and Jesus, which were used by main-stream Christianity to terrorize me. They said the book was divinely inspired, that I had to believe in Jesus to be saved from eternal hell, and that even thinking that Jesus may not be the son of God meant eternal damnation. At Unity they see the Bible as a metaphysical book, but I still don't want to hear about it. It may take a few years before I can really use the so-called wisdom from the book.

Jesus and textbook aside, the principles of Unity are awesome. I just wish they wouldn't need that to bring the positive message across. But quite frankly, I have learned to see past that and to enjoy the positive, enlightening teachings.

Of course, the teachings are not exclusive to Unity. What they believe is similar to what, say, Wayne Dyer talks about all the time. But famous gurus charge people big bucks for public appearances--I don't have to dish out much money to go to church on Sundays to meet others who believe somewhat the same as me. The somewhat is emphasized because I do not agree with everything that's said, but that's the beauty of it. I can be myself. I can have my own esoteric spirituality and nobody is judging me for it.

It might as well be a Science of Mind church or any other metaphysical organization. I refuse to profess exclusive partisanship toward the Unity church I attend, for doing that would be akin to falling prey to religion yet again. So I see these people as friends who allow me to believe as I wish and who accept me as I am. I love it.

1 comment:

AutoDT said...

Very interesting! You do not need to believe in a God or gods, etc., to reach the Kingdom of God. The sacred Kingdom lies within us all.

May the path you take bring you peace and happiness.

Cyrus