Tuesday, September 22, 2009

OK, They Like Him

My husband's contract that was supposed to end in April has been extended for the third time, for six more months.

The deal is that his position was taken over by another department at the university, and that department posted the position, at a much lower salary, and my husband applied for it.

After a three-month process, he's been told that he is on probation with the new department for six months--keeping his salary. At that time, the job will be posted again, and if they like his performance so far, he will be given a permanent job at the university.

As I told my husband, I think they want to pay him more, and when the job gets re-posted, the salary will be higher. They can't just pay him more right now on a permanent position, because there is a union involved, and they have to be careful to follow procedure.

At any rate, the whole enchilada has affected me at several levels. When he first told me in March that he only had one month of contract left, I thought I was going to die.

Then I considered the possibility of going back to the workforce and have been thinking/planning for it since. I've been doing all this, basically, with a gun over my head: I work or else.

I know now that my husband will probably work at the university for the rest of his career. It's a great place to work (five weeks of holidays a year, one of them being around Christmas). Benefits are great and the work environment is excellent. This is the first time in his career that he doesn't have to carry a pager and constantly get up in the middle of the night to fix problems.

But I just went through a Career Exploration course with a cloud over my head--will he be employed in October or not?

I don't believe I was thinking clearly. Now I probably am. It almost feels like I need to go through the course again, taking the new knowledge into account.

In other words, without the pressure of having to work, I don't know what to do. I need to redefine my needs and desires now that I am not under duress.

It occurs to me that I should get a volunteer position on each of my areas of interest, just to see how much I like doing the jobs. Perhaps I should contact organizations with the volunteer idea in mind.

Wow! Writing this has been helpful. If anybody reads it, thank you for your patience. This is one of those rare occasions when I just write without an outline. This is journaling at its best.

9 comments:

Zoe said...

I'm reading. Glad to know your husband still has a job. I hardly ever write with an outline. I just sit and write (probably shows) but I lack the energy to do it twice. :-)

Unrepentant said...

Ah, thank you for reading Zoe.

Usually, I don't have a formal outline, but I have a pretty good idea of what I want to say.

Sometimes I edit the post for up to 3 days!

But that's me. Thankfully, not everyone is like me. Many different styles make a more interesting blogsphere.

Anonymous said...

wow, you usually write with an outline? how organized you are! :) i always think your writing is excellent, this included. requires no patience :)

i'm happy for you and your husband that his contract was extended and that you are free to consider, without pressure, a return to the workforce.

and thank you for your comment at my blog. it was so very kind of you! :) i tried to respond at my blog, but something was not working with my comment box.

i thought about trying to write a one-line response to your post here, but i just couldn't do it. i appreciate you saying that's ok for me to do. :)

oh and i like the notion of giving fears the finger. ha! :)

hope you're well~~~

unrepentant said...

mountainmama,

I think there is a problem with blogger. I've been trying for days to post a comment on a certain blog and I couldn't.

I'm so glad I moved to Wordpress. Maybe I should move this one there too--it seems like Wordpress attracts more readers as well.

Glad you like my journal entry and glad that my comment on your blog didn't insult you.

We need to keep working on our fears. I don't know about you but I have hundreds of them.

Anonymous said...

i didn't find your comment insulting at all :)

i agree completely and have been working a lot on fears this year.

i appreciate your support and empathy~

starry eyed said...

Oh, so you did move ur other blog to WP! I was wondering if I was mistaken!

Am so glad your husband's continuing. Hope your plans work out for you:)

Temaskian said...

So it could be that your recent illness was caused by too much worry about the economical situation of your family.

Maybe you should try to hang loose a little, don't worry so much. It's not the end of the worry even if your husband ultimately loses his job.

You'll survive.

Temaskian said...

I meant to say 'end of the world', not 'end of the worry', lol.

Unrepentant said...

Starry
======
Thank you! Yes, I did move to WP because in WP you can ban people individually.

Every person who leaves a comment also lives his/her IP address, then you can enter it on the banned list. That way I don't have to moderate, and can keep unwanted people out.

There was a Christian who likes to use foul language and hog threads that I needed to get rid of.

Temaskian
=========
You are right! I first got a huge sinus infection. Then I got the pain that sent me to the ER.

My body has been under all kinds of strain, I think. I need to take it easy for a few days.