Monday, July 20, 2009

Coming Up: A Review of Easy Virtue, the movie

I started writing that post last week and never went past the first paragraph. We've been working so hard in the backyard: fixing a retaining wall, repairing two fences (one per neighbour), and making a patio (after ripping off the deck).

It took sooo long. We've been at it since May. Good thing we had a vacation in between, otherwise we would be dead.

This week I have to clean the house spotless. Brother-in-law getting married on Saturday. On Thursday we have rehearsal dinner. On Friday we are going out for dinner with all the out-of-towners. On Saturday, the wedding--all day affair. On Sunday, I am having everybody over for a BBQ lunch--25 people give or take a couple.

It sounds busy, I know, but it actually is more that that. It's excruciating, considering that I have to hang out with my mother-in-law and that I'm feeling sick these days.

This past Saturday, I had what I think was my first ever gallbladder pain attack. I almost went to the ER. The pain is beyond belief. I felt as if something was being ripped from below my rib cage. But I didn't go to the hospital. Honestly, I have no time to be sick right now.

Instead I drank fennel & cumin tea (those Indian spices come handy sometimes), and it helped so much. On Sunday I drank dandelion-root tea all day and had only liquids. The pain came back at times on Sunday.

Today, Monday, I drank fresh vegetable juice, had a few grapes, and had my award-winning vegetable soup (with lots of fennel). My diet is so skimpy that I'm not sure if I am hungry or just have heartburn.

Other than heartburn, I am bloated, as if something is swollen inside, feel week and a bit dizzy, want to throw up, keep burping, and have menstrual-period-like pain. It isn't good, I know.

At least I've managed to keep pain at bay by not eating anything fried. That's what Volly said to do on my other blog.

Interestingly enough, keeping busy helps me forget about the pain. I wouldn't want to lie in bed all day, then I would really feel sick.

Anyway, I'll see the doctor on Wednesday. Already made the appointment. Told Husband that if doctor wants me to go to the hospital, I will go and the wedding can do without me.

Please don't tell me you'll pray for me. Try something more creative, OK?

Oh my gosh, talk about bitching! I don't mean to scare you but mid-aging sucks.

5 comments:

Volly said...

Take heart, ...I've known a few who had gb surgery, including my grandmother, at the age of 83, and me, 2 months after a C-section. Everybody was back on their feet inside of a week, with no lingering effects.

...sounds like the mother-in-law might be a bigger pain, actually... :)



Final thought: Annoying people are like bacteria - they have a way of multiplying rapidly when you're feeling ill.

Unrepentant said...

Hey, thanks for the encouragement, Volly.

I can really use it. The pain hasn't comeback, because I am not really eating, I think. But the abdominal discomfort is really annoying.

Anonymous said...

yikes! you poor thing. surely the stress of the wedding and all those people having to be around and your MIL especially is making things worse~ you have my best wishes (not prayers) - i'll be thinking of you this weekend hoping you get some respite asap! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks, mountainmama.

On my way to the doctor.

Unrepentant said...

Doc thinks it is gallbladder, as do I. Ordered a bunch of tests that kept me busy all day.

Now I just eat my steamed veggies and wait.

But I have dietary guidelines, a prescription for a potential pain recurrence, and medication for heartburn.

All the wonderful things I get from a half-decent Canadian health care system. Wouldn't change it for the world.