Monday, July 27, 2009

Mother-in-law: Miracles do happen—no praying involved

My late-thirties brother-in-law married a 32-year-old this weekend. Both of them are the youngest in their respective families but were raised differently. He was raised to obey. She was raised to command, with an iron rod, passively aggressively so.

I never did like this girl—I may someday—but so far so bad.

Always smiling and softly speaking, she knows how to say “no,” firmly, good for her. But in our interactions, I’ve felt a heavy energy emanating off her, as if she were saying, “Get off my lawn or I’ll kill you.”

When I tried to talk to her about wedding stuff, I got a half-smile from her, as if to say, “Who are you to say anything to me about my wedding.”

Things got slightly worse when she didn’t invite me to her wedding shower. It was held at the church and it was her responsibility to invite outsiders. I was the only female relative in town from the groom’s side and I didn’t get an invite.

We all have known for a while that she was heavily involved in wedding planning, changing the colour several times, driving even the groom mad. She sent specific instructions to my husband on how to dress for ushering (she thought it necessary to tell him he should wear a suit) and declared early on that she had to approve of my mother-in-law’s outfit. We all knew she wanted to have a great wedding. Messing up with the groom’s family, apparently, would help her have a great wedding.

Things started out pretty bad on Thursday at the rehearsal dinner. Her majesty the queen sat down to be served. I picked up the food at an Italian restaurant, rushed to the church to have it in on time, and helped the volunteers serve it. She never raised a finger, and neither she nor her husband-to-be bothered to say even a little speech to thank anyone. Everyone ate and left. We weren’t even introduced to her family ever—not even at family pictures during the wedding.

Heading to the parking lot to go home, my father-in-law and I saw they’d started to decorate for the Saturday wedding, and I said, “Interesting, we didn’t do any of that for mine.” He smiled widely and said, “Ah, it was much simpler.”

I laughed, and he started to recall how much he enjoyed our wedding. Score: Lorena one, new sister-in-law zero.

On Friday, the family got together at a restaurant, 18 of us. Slowly the truth came out. The immediate family was pissed. Husband’s sister started to detail how the queen had been micromanaging and driving everyone crazy. “She wants to have the perfect wedding,” she said.

“She can’t have the perfect wedding” said I. “I already had it.”

“Yes,” replied the women, emphatically “It was perfect and so much simpler.”

Our rehearsal dinner was catered, and we gave little presents to everybody who helped, from the pastor to the sound guy to the groom’s and bride’s people. Everybody was clapped at and sincerely thanked for their awesome contribution.

For the wedding, I hired a company to decorated the church and the reception hall, and to to take the stuff away when it was all over. For everything else, I assigned activities to a number of friends and never told them how to do anything. Even the piano player chose her own pieces, and the singers had rehearsals without my knowing. The ceremony was so beautiful that I made myself cry and when I did, many others wept too.

For the reception, I asked a couple of friends to do skits and never even asked what they were doing. An obsessive-compulsive friend of mine was given a list of tasks and names, and she made sure everybody did their job. Everyone did. I never did pester them. Never. And in the end, we had the best wedding I’ve ever seen. Our friends made it happen, particularly the MC, who is so smart and funny that went on to become a lawyer.

As for the current wedding, during Friday-night’s dinner we found out there was a schedule and that the happy couple would have five, yes 5, different photo sessions all over the city: a hotel, a famous park, outside the church, a relative’s house, and another park. The schedule even told the family what time to start driving to the last park, where we were required to be for immediate-family pictures. I told them I was giving up my immediate-family rights.

We were all bewildered at her micromanaging skills, and incredibly enough, now having a “common enemy” my mother-in-law, her daughter, and I for the first time ever felt we were on the same side of things. I told my husband that the queen was making me look like a saint and a genius. He heartily laughed.

Far from perfect, the wedding was underwhelming. At the reception, the MC did nothing and the guests left before final speeches. There was no entertainment and we mostly just talked amongst ourselves. I enjoyed it. But it wasn’t the perfect wedding she so carefully planned for months.

On Sunday, the whole family got together at our place, and it became obvious that the relationship between MIL and I had been permanently altered by all the mayhem. It is almost as if now I understand how she felt when I took her precious boy years ago, and now she can see that I ain’t so bad after all.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, what a circus! i feel kind of sorry for that bride. she sounds so controlling and insecure. to make everyone go to such lengths. to go so far to try to make it a "perfect" day. i wonder what she's compensating for...

i'm so glad that something so wonderful came of all this, such as the appreciation for you from your husband's family, but especially your MIL. what news! i'm so happy for you that you got to experience a positive connection with her~~ :)

Anonymous said...

i want to add, i never did understand gigantic, complicated elaborate weddings that make everyone get all uncomfortable. yours sounds like it was beautiful and involved many people, yet not a pain at all, only a pleasure.

all i wanted to do was go to the courthouse. it was me, my husband, two friends as witnesses, and the judge. it was perfect. non-religious. simple. true. ours. i wouldn't have had it any other way. :)

Unrepentant said...

Thanks, Mountainmama.

Yes, hanging out with the relatives was actually good for the first time ever. The thing is that I've been trying to change my attitude toward them for a long time, but they were keeping their old ideas of me and turning me off with their stereotyping of me.

Perhaps this weekend found us all with our guard off. I was sickly, tired, and offended by the queen. Perhaps we were all vulnerable and that helped us find common ground.

Compensating for? I don't know. She seems to think the whole universe goes around her, as if we were all oh-so happy to serve her.

A thought would be that she married into a well-off family and hers isn't. She may have been trying to impress us.

paisaformythoughts said...

Oh yes..this sounds like me. I tend to micromanage and be controlling...beats me where it comes from.

I feel sad for your s-i-l, because this does nothing but piss people off at your perfection and 'managing skills' and causes a lot of envy among the more insecure people who then do anything to bring you down!

Happened to me. Am learning slowly not to micromanage everybody including my family, my neighbours and my support group people! I think I can be hard to live with:(

But I don't think I ever went to the length of not thanking people when they did something for me...I always show appreciation and your post has reinforced that people like to be appreciated. And do pitch in majorly instead of odering people around. I just need to let go of the need to control how others are doing (or not doing) their job!

It's wonderful that you could conect with your m-i-l. But I was wondering if I could share with you that you need to be careful with that? I've married the middle son and have an elder and a younger sis-in-law and spent a lot of time bonding with my younger s-i-l over our common enemies, our m-i-l and elder s-i-l. As far as I know, that backfires.

I now make sure that my relationship with my younger s-i-l is only about the two of us and try to avoid encouraging her to bitch abt the other two, because I know she'll probably turn around and bitch about me with them, to cement her place in the joint family they all live in together. I'm out of it now, so don't need to do anything of the kind.

I don't know if you get what I'm saying? Maybe that it could be risky to bond over bitching?!! It feels good short-term, but it comes back and bites you in the ass!

Unrepentant said...

Paisa,

You're right about keeping it to the two of us. And actually, I did my best to not speak against the new s-i-l. I did bitch a little regarding us & the happy couple, but when the M-I-L spoke of her, I either said nothing or acted as a pacifist.

For instance, when my s-i-l (husband's sister) complained that the queen was laid back and demanding, I said, "Ah, but they will be so happy together, because they're both laid back."

You're totally right. I need to try harder to stay away from criticizing the queen with the in-laws, as much as I can. Thank you for reminding me.

Volly said...

Sorry Bridezilla didn't invite you to her shower, but you probably missed nothing beyond watching her preen and turn her nose up at gifts she didn't think were "worthy."

Now comes the interesting part -- seeing if she will make the marriage as "perfect" as the wedding.

Can you say Meeowwwww...
:)

Unrepentant said...

Volly, LOL.

Well, the wedding was very imperfect. The marriage, who knows. I have bad, very bad vibes. The groom has stubborn in his blood.

Bridezilla is the way to call her...! Ha.