Monday, April 12, 2010

Depression, Menopause & Career

I was just talking to my husband about the depression that has haunted me my entire life. Until recently, I ignored my lifelong affliction. But I can tell looking back that it has always been an issue.

For a while I called it ADD, because I used to stop mid-step and become immobilized while thinking of some memory. I was so unaware of it, that I rarely mentioned it to a doctor or to a psychologist.

But in recent days, I’ve become convinced that it was pure, unadulterated depression. It may sound “funny,” but in that regard I may be doing better than ever. My enjoyment of life and my ability to be in-the-moment have increased dramatically.

I was telling him that I NEED TO WORK for more than just financial reasons. It is mostly due to health issues, both depression and menopause (which is causing me to gain more weight).

If it isn’t, it should be common knowledge by now that serotonin plays a major role in depression. But serotonin can be produced by our bodies, and exercise is a great way to get it incredibly fast.

It is no wonder that when we travel and walk about 10 kilometres a day I am so balanced and reasonably happy. It is the business, the doing, the movement that helps my mood, by producing the hormones my body needs.

Sitting around the house hardly ever going anywhere is not conducive to a good mood for a person in my situation. So, I was telling my husband that, first of all, I need a job, any job. Second, if possible, I need a job that will keep me moving. Walking around all day would be ideal. It would help me lose weight and it would help me maintain my mood. It would be a drug of sorts.

But it so happens that I have 6 years of post-secondary education in Computers and about 15 years of work experience in the field. Computer geek is written all over my face, and other than three years of experience working in an office doing secretarial work, I have nothing else in my bag of tricks.

My husband says that I should still try to find a job in the computer/office field. I can, he says, then hire a personal trainer that will keep me active, moving, and hire a cleaning person to do the work around the house.

For some reason I don’t find that too appealing, even though that may be what I end up doing. I am thinking that, perhaps, working as a tour guide or in a bakery or even retail would accomplish both, the exercise and the getting me out there, while making me a couple of bucks.

I don’t know if the employment counsellor, with whom I have an appointment this week, will have any ideas in that regard. But given my track record with employment counsellors who haven’t understood me, I feel compelled to lower my expectations, to give the relationship a change to succeed.

I’m also thinking that a part-time job would be ideal. Perhaps easing back into the workforce would be best. Especially, if I get a job that requires walking, since I would be tired at the beginning, another good thing, since I have trouble sleeping (like all other menopausal women).

Anyway, I must admit that trying to choose my next “career” is haunting me of late. It just occurred to me, thought, that whatever I choose does not have to be permanent. It seems that I’m treating the choice as the ultimate live-or-die decision, which it isn’t. I will have to mull over this, to see what I can do to lower the pressure. I’m sure dealing with this issue will make me feel a lot better.

6 comments:

Shen said...

If you could do anything at all, what would it be?

me as i am said...

That is a good point. Your choice doesn't have to be permanent. Not that it won't be either. But anything you can think to help you ease the pressure on yourself. Sometimes that helps me. I will find out the thoughts that bring me stress and change the thoughts. Reality may be the same but changing our perspective changes so much about how we feel. And exercise is so important yes. I tend to be sedentary too so I can relate. Finally I joined our local gym and have been trying to go lately. At least walk around the block if nothing else. Every little bit does something for our brain. And you're so right about the transitory nature of our moods. I'm not pregnant. Just have strong emotional fluctuation each month. But yeah, by the time I got your reply the other day, I did feel better. Damn moods :)

Unrepentant said...

Shen
====
Thank you for the question. I have no idea, because I have never done anything else.

Boy, that's such a great question. It opens up a can of worms. I never thought of what I just said about never having done the stuff. I may be romanticizing jobs that I'll end up hating, so it seems to me that I just got to do something. Try different things, to see how it goes.

It is possible that after I've done different things, I'll end up loving computer programming all over again. I think I just have PTSD from having worked in computers for so long, and maybe I need to try it again to see if this time I like it better.

Sigh!

Katie
======
Glad you're feeling better. Depression sucks, but at least in our case, we get better soon. Good for us!

Positive said...

Hi,

How about marketing for a software company/ for that matter any company that has embedded software and hardware? It involves travel too. See in most companies, there is no limit for spending in the marketing department - we know it is thelife of the organization, as marketing brings in the orders. And of course you can talk techie stuff there, drawing from your back gorund and reading a bit.. And then slowly move into project management !! ta da.. there u r.. Give it thre years time to reach a PM !

I have also heard of this new post "Sr. Staff Engineer" sounds like a interesting post.., because it is the HR department where you will need to know some of the tech jargon !

I agree with Katie.. Louise Hay says, "When we change our thoughts, we change. And we find that other people also change."

Best wishes

Unrepentant said...

Positive,

I have training in marketing/PR. I could do that if anyone would hire me. I just feel that I'm too geeky for the job.

But I will see if the employment counsellor can help me make a resume for that, and if a job comes up, I will apply.

I am thinking that I will make three or four types of resumes and will spend a lot of time reading job posts. Maybe they'll be one that closely matches my background.

Thank you so much for your input.

menopause weight gain said...

Brilliant post! You're a genius!