Friday, October 9, 2009

Misery

I've been feeling miserable for a couple of days. Ever since I started linking in with former co-workers on linkedin.com.

There are several reasons why that makes me miserable.

It reminds me of the horrible person I used to be, and that I can sometimes be, when I turn into my mother. I know all those co-workers know how good I was technically, but they also remember how intolerant and difficult to work with I was. I can only hope they feel sorry for me. It was that bad. We were friendly when we were co-workers, but my inferiority complex when it comes to interpersonal relationships, especially those in my past, is alive and well.

I know I have to forgive myself, and I have. But I can't expect that other people are going to forgive me, too.

It also makes me miserable to see that even those co-workers who were under-performers are out there with a career in technology, and I'm not. It is very hard to swallow.

But, even though I feel terrible, I think it's a good thing that social media gives me the change to sneak my nose out there and see where everyone is and what they're doing. Imagine that! In the past, when we lost touch with former acquaintances, our chances of finding them again were minimal, unless we kept in touch.

Nowadays, you can go to linkedin.com, search by name, and there they are. You can know where they've been working since you saw them last, and what they're doing right now. If I hadn't been so hard to work with, that would be a mine of contacts for me. I could probably get myself a job on the spot. But that isn't the case. My business manners were bad, and now I have to live with it.

I think it is healthy to face reality and process all those memories. It takes me to a place of acceptance. I can acknowledge that I was a real bitch, and look at reality straight on the face. All these years I've been locked in the house because I didn't want to see that face. It was easier to hide. But now I am out there.

I was also embarrassed that they would find out what kind of a loser I had turned out to be. But the truth is out there now. I can't hide anymore.

So yes, I am miserable these days. The pariah complex is back to haunt me, and I have to live with it, bravely so.

It reminds me of the time I sent a letter to a gentleman confessing my love for him. He said he didn't feel the same way. But the next time I saw him, I had to walk by him with my chin up. About six months later, I met my lovely husband.

Career wise, I am trying to talk nicely to myself. I am saying, "That was the first half of your life, now you can be different in the second half. You don't need those people who know your past to start a new life, other than using a couple of the nicest ones as references. Use this challenge as motivation to get out there and reclaim your career."

I really can use the motivation. Up to a couple of weeks ago, the motivation was that my husband was going to lose his job. I can't use that one anymore. Maybe I can tell myself that I need to get out there and make some new, positive contacts that I can look to, in the future, proudly.

Right now, my eyes are dry but my heart bleeds. It bleeds from a lifetime of ruined relationships and opportunities. I'm going to believe that there is another opportunity out there for me. I have to believe. I have no choice.

I just hope that my body will hold up. This is a lot to handle.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

what an emotionally brave and honest post you've written. i love it. it reflects some of what i'm feeling about myself this week. i've been feeling crappy but not known quite why. your words help me to see part of what i've been rattling around with in my own brain. thank you.

i think it's really brave of you to face all this, especially with such dignity and acceptance of yourself. you sound very healthy.

maybe the equivalent of how you felt you were humiliated and had to endure that in love, still had to hold your head high when you saw that man again, then 6 months later met your lovely husband, will happen for you with the job world as well. you feel upset now as you attempt to reenter that world, old feelings and bad memories are cropping up. maybe sometime after this rough awakening you'll find a lovely job :) that is my hope for you~~

Temaskian said...

Instead of pushing yourself to be someone you're not, perhaps you could just accept your own strengths and weaknesses and work on your strengths.

Put your strengths to work instead of your weakness, and forget about the past. Did I mention it's important to accept yourself? Heh.

My story is remarkably similar to yours, so don't give up, because I'm hanging in there too.

Cut yourself more slack. People like us need it.

Perhaps it's just a case of trying too hard. Relax more.

Unrepentant said...

MMM
====
Thanks! I am just wondering why my body is misbehaving so brutally. But I am going to think that getting re-acquainted with the world has been hard on me, and that the worst is over.

Interestingly, people other than my former co-workers have been calling and trying to get in touch with me. I just have to chin up and go on with life, I guess.

Temakian
========
Thank you for your wise words and reminders.

It may be trying too hard, but it also is a case is taking people too seriously, I think. Perhaps I just have to give that particular group of people the finger and get on with my life.

Temaskian said...

My sentiments exactly. People who get on our nerves should be given the least priority it terms of area of concern. We can simply ignore them, delete them, ban them. The best is to ignore them. Sometimes, though, I admit it's easier said than done. I suspect we're rather intense people and tend to get caught up with issues easily. Issues tend to linger in our brains.

We need to let go, not forgive, but forget. There are people in our lives who need our care and concern much more. The scums of the earth can wait.

On the other hand, sometimes it's good training for us to see if we can handle intense situations, and then let go immediately afterwards.

Unrepentant said...

On the other hand, sometimes it's good training for us to see if we can handle intense situations, and then let go immediately afterwards.

Right! I think we need to try with new people. The old ones can never take anything we do objectively. They're human after all.

starry eyed said...

Oh yeah...I know how that feels...all my graduate classmates are out there big PhDs and big earners...I've caught up with them on FB, and don't know what the hell to say to them.

Hugs to you...it will work out and I think it's great that you're being gentle with yourself. And btw, if you forgive yourself, others will forgive you too. If they don't...it's their loss.