Friday, October 30, 2009

Social Life at School

Reading mountainmama’s description of her social interactions at school during her teenage years, reminded me of what it was like for me.

What’s interesting is how different we were, and how the net result was so similar. I, too, didn’t have close girlfriends. I too felt isolated. I too have few good memories of it.

But in my case, it wasn’t because I was shy or trying too hard to make friends. In my case it was because I was a real Bitch, yes, with a capital B.

I already had an alpha male personality. I was like a boy, an obnoxious one. For instance, when I got a good mark on a test or assignment, I rubbed it in. I told anyone who would hear me that I’d done well. I wish somebody would have told me that people had feelings that got hurt by my behaviour, but nobody in my life was that wise. An argument could easily be made that I treated other people callously because that’s how I was treated at home.

When my girlfriends had a crush on what I considered a worthless boy, I would tell them so. And I would go on to list all the boy’s shortcomings. I was imitating my mother. In her eyes, most men were worthless, and every time someone she knew fell in love, she would point out he guy’s disadvantages. I didn’t know then how horrible doing that was. It was judgmental and cruel. No wonder the girls didn’t like me.

I was also weird, too, in that I was interested in stuff other kids my age weren’t, like politics. I was in grade 5 and already had an opinion about the president and the opposition. Everybody found out my opinion, too, since I would go around talking about it, caring little whether they were interested or not. I was imitating my mother in this, too. She had very strong opinions that she expressed to anyone who would hear her.

But I did want to be liked, so sometimes I was compelled to help others with homework or to pass answers during exams, so they would like me. But they just used me. They still couldn’t stand me.

I wasn’t entirely alone, though. The boys were there for me (not during recess, unfortunately). I was the boys’ best friend. We talked about soccer and other sports. We talked about music. It didn’t offend them that I was a show off. Some of them even thought I was cool.

Being close to the boys earned me a few girlfriends, who wanted to hang out with me to get to the opposite sex. That part was good, too, even though I knew I was being used.

It does seem that I was disliked for good reasons. Brits would say that it was bad breeding, and they would be right. I simply was taught no manners or compassion or ways to get alone with others.

The sad part is that bad breeding is difficult to shake off. Even now, in my mid forties, when an acquaintance tells me she’s in love with someone I consider below her, I think my face shows the disagreement. Even if my words aren’t nosy and judgmental, it does seem that my body language shows my true feelings, and my interlocutors are able to pick up the negative vibes.

For almost any circumstance, it is difficult to come up with something to say when you weren’t taught as a child. Living among people from another culture multiplies the problem many times over. More often than not, when faced with awkward situations, I have no idea what to say, and end up putting my foot in my mouth. I usually fail to fulfill expectations, because I lack a repertoire of proper, socially acceptable, neutral answers that would not offend or put the other person down.

Worse yet, many women expect to be comforted with sweet words and a hug. I don’t have that stuff in my repertoire. I never received that kind of comfort as a child, or ever. I would have to be a trained actor to play that role. It’s completely foreign to me. When I try to behave that way, I feel silly, stupid, awkward, inadequate, and more.

So, I am in my mid-forties and married, and the guys are still my best friends. But I can’t go to the movies with them or have them as my confidents. That probably accounts for my loneliness and depression. I can’t have male friends, and when it comes to friends, they’re my only choice. Bingo!

It is perfectly possible that being able to interact with guys is my strongest, yet unconscious, motivation for wanting back in the workforce, where harmless inter-gender friendships can easily be had. Guys usually have skin thick enough to deal with a badly bred, opinionated chick like me.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

i don't see you as badly bred at all. i think you're lovely and hilarious and bold. you were a really smart kid with a strong personality. maybe you didn't ever learn sugar-coating or to be politely insincere, to which i say -- good for you. i know it's made life hard for you. but honestly, i really think anyone who hasn't appreciated it is just missing out.

i can relate to you very much in this post. and it's funny how different yet how similar we are. though i didn't brag or have guy friends and i'm kind of mushy, i'm a big one for putting my foot in my mouth, to this day. not knowing quite how to relate to others, just blurting out what's on my mind and not quite getting why that makes me different from others sometimes. i feel so awkward sometimes. like an alien who is visiting this earth and human behavior mystifies me.

and i too made some girlfriends when i was young who wanted to get close to guys, but they sought my friendship not because i was close to the guys, but because i offered no threat, no competition.

we both have experiences being used it sounds like.

but it sounds like we both have the experience of finally finding people who appreciate us for who we are, as we are.

i know you're not big on these, but this post made me want to give you a great big hug! :)

Unrepentant said...

Thanks for the hug. Glad to hear you were not a Bitch at school.

You pretty much described my feeling of awkwardness. It is pretty hard not to feel awkward when you say things and people constantly blush, or tell you off, or frown.

You are right when you say I did fins someone who accepts me the way I am. My husband calls my indiscretions comedy. He just laughs his hear out at almost everything I say. He finds the bluntness comical, apparently.

I just wish that all of us, people with two left feet, could go live together undisturbed on some island where the punk, cool people couldn't reach us.

Anonymous said...

ha! my husband laughs at me too. it makes me feel better when i do something socially awkward that at least he laughs with me about it. :) takes the pressure off~

yeah, i'm trying to get better at adopting the attitude that if people don't appreciate me or want to be my friend, it's their loss. i need to love and accept myself for me. now to make that reality...

oh and i thought of something you might like. have you read any clarissa pinkola estes? i know i've talked about her a lot but i couldn't remember if you'd read her also? well, regarding the grieving you wrote about, i have this old cassette of her telling this wonderful story about grieving, it's called, "the faithful gardener: about that which can never die". you can find it in book form, but i highly recommend getting a recording of her telling her stories, her voice is very moving. anyway, i looked it up on amazon today to see if they might have it still in case you'd be interested and they have it on audio-cd as well as book. here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Faithful-Gardener-Clarissa-Pinkola-Estes/dp/1591793882/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257208033&sr=8-1

hope you're having a nice evening!

Unrepentant said...

I'll see if the library has the material. Amazon delivery charges are very high for Canada, and they don' deliver to P.O. Boxes (darn!)

For some weird reason, I prefer books to sound or video. Maybe because I can read obscure sentences several times before moving on, or I can read during TV commercials.

I'll see if I can find her. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

i hope your library has her material. anything by her. you're probably most likely to find her book, "women who run with the wolves" which is my favorite. but "the faithful gardener" being especially about grief is wonderful. and for some reason, i especially thought you would like it.

Unrepentant said...

I live on the border of 3 cities, and a short drive away from two others.

So, I have access to 5 library systems. All of them have her works, and at least one of them has Women who run... as a downloadable audio book. I'll download it tomorrow. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

neat :) i'm curious to know your thoughts. definitely keep an eye out for the faithful gardener though. that one especially came up in my mind while reading your recent posts.

Unrepentant said...

Unfortunately, when I tried to download it, I realized there is a waiting list. So, I'll wait.

But I'm considering picking a copy in Spanish from one of the libraries.

The libraries have lots of his books. They do have the faithful gardener.

Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

oh that's great that they have her work available translated. i'm not surprised though as she's latina :)