Thursday, November 5, 2009

Attachment Disorder

What is attachment disorder, anyway. The Wikipedia article’s first sentence says is all: “Is a broad term intended to describe disorders of mood, behavior, and social relationships arising from a failure to form normal attachments to primary care giving figures in early childhood...”

I’ve been diagnosed with attachment disorder, and I believe I suffer of it. In fact, I think I’m the disorder’s poster girl.

I’ve explained the phenomenon to myself in many ways, but my in my favourite mental picture, I see an earth’s globe full of people and places. Outside of it, not in touch with the earth at all, I see my family. Close to, but outside of the family, I see myself floating around completely unanchored to anyone or anything.

My mother, like most parents in my country, have the deep seated belief that loving your children means having money to buy them things and to provide them with nice clothes and to send them to a nice, private school.

So Mom, a widow, worked hard, very hard to give us all-things material. Caresses, hugs, words of encouragement, and even togetherness were not part of her worldview. In fact, she went out of her way to teach us that people who are guided by feelings are wrong and destined to disgrace. For instance, a mother who saw her kid crying and gave into the kid’s wishes was a bad mother, she said. She was teaching her kid an attitude of entitlement, to have all wishes fulfilled.

People who drank were evil. Having children was a disgrace. Falling in love with a less-than-perfect person was stupid. Giving someone money was letting them rob us, and they would never thank us anyway. The world was evil. Everyone was out to get us. We should defend ourselves from everyone, lest we wanted to be taken advantage of, abused, or defrauded. Or worse yet, we could be disrespected. Heavens! That was the worst of the worst. Only one person could disrespect us: herself.

Some would say she was trying to protect us. True. Maybe. The problem was that she treated us like that as well. We were inferior, unworthy, disgraceful, taking advantage of her, out to get her, and were not thankful for her sacrifices. The brutal beatings and constant put downs were proof of her love, I suppose.

But, how does all this relate to attachment disorder?

She first separated us from the world, by creating an us-against-the-world, almost cultic image of our family. We were different. We were special. The world was out to get us.

She then separated each one of us from the family. She made us hate each other, by making us point our finger against one another, by having favourites, by making everybody turn against the black sheep of the day. We were all villains in her book, unworthy of her favour, or of anyone else’s for that matter.

I think my mother should be studied by scientists who are trying to figure out how attachment disordered children come to be.

The end result of her “sacrifices” is a bunch of people who think the world is out to get them, are unable to experience feelings toward anyone, despise each other, judge self and others, can’t get along with others, are deeply depressed, can be cruel with little effort, feel 100%, utterly alone in the world, can’t fit in anywhere.

I am quite sure that the greatest damage mother caused us happened in our first five years of life, though. She believes that babies should be spanked and left to cry until they get tired of it. Picking up a baby just because he/she is crying is overindulgence, she says. Babies need to learn that life is tough from the very beginning.

Frankly, I don’t picture her baby talking any of us, or spending any time holding us, or trying hard to put us to sleep. The iron woman doesn’t have it in her.

I think I’m a little better than my mother, but not a lot better. I thought I was breaking the cycle, but now I doubt it.

The world doesn’t want me, and I don’t want the world either. I’m so different, due to my strange beginnings, that trying to fit in is too much work. On TV, and sometimes in real life, I see people who actually can experience feelings hugging each other, crying on each others’ shoulders, forgiving each other, and enjoying the holidays together. I sometimes even tear up, and I want to have all that. But when push comes to shove, I am unable to experience it. When people hug me, I think they’re just feeling sorry for me. When I’m invited to someone’s house during the holidays, I feel left out, since they’re all mushily loving each other. I sit on my corner with my hands on my lap, wishing I could be like them but unable to be so.

Yes, I am attachment disordered. Yes, I’m different. Yes, to me happiness means being home, safe from the “dangers” of the world. I keep wishing I felt differently, but it doesn’t seem to be happening. I must try to find a way to live my life safely, on my own weird terms. Enjoying what I have on my own way. I need to stop looking out the window wishing for what others have. For I am not them, I am me—serious and distrustful—for better or for worse.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

another great post. i can completely see how untrusting and separate you feel, and how you came to be that way. and you might never feel differently. in your own way though, it seems like you have found ways to connect at least to some extent. you do have a husband you love and i think many people are not capable of this. and even if you care from a safe distance, i do still see your care towards others. you just have many layers also built up to protect yourself. like lots of insulation :) but i don't see you as cold. i believe anyone who truly cares for you will understand why you feel the way you do, and love you as you are. whether you feel like giving a hug or not. not everyone who hugs genuinely cares, or is capable of as much authenticity as you.

all that said though, i'm so sorry your mom was the way she was. though in many ways i'm sure her abusiveness adequately prepared you for enduring the horrors life can present, the pain she caused you has obviously had lasting effects as well.

were i ever to meet you in person, i would accept that you might not want a hug and i would accept you as you are. hugs are optional :)

Temaskian said...

Lorena,

I like your conclusions. I've very much came to the same.

Unrepentant said...

MMM
====
Yes, I found a way to connect--but I screwed up most of my relationships, sadly.

My husband is a good man, but he has issues as well. He married me because compared to his mom I am a total sweet heart :)

He likes people but makes no effort to reach out to them. The two friends we have are my friends. When he's away, I usually have a blast, because my friends are more than happy to meet me knowing he won't be around.

I have to disagree with this,

though in many ways i'm sure her abusiveness adequately prepared you for enduring the horrors life can present,

Loves gives you thick skin. Abuse peels off the layers and leaves your skin raw and exposed.

I know many people who have successfully overcome disappointment. But they had a strong base of love in their lives, growing up and currently. Love is the cushion where they fell.

Unrepentant said...

Temaskian
=========
I'd like to know a bit more of your story, but I won't hold my breath. You're male, and you're Chinese. I just don't see it happening.

Anonymous said...

hmm...yes, i see what you mean about abuse and thin-skin. i think maybe what i said was what the abuser often thinks. that by being "tough" (i.e. abusive and unloving) with their children, they're preparing them for the world. but i think you're right. it just leaves us sort of crippled and vulnerable to repeating those harmful patterns, not knowing how to recognize or give love.

Anonymous said...

i think also what i was thinking about was my husband. he lived through a really horrific childhood and it seems like as a result, not much seems to faze him.

Unrepentant said...

Interesting, that your husband seems like nothing faces him.

I'm like that, too. When shit happens, I don't cry, I don't make a fuzz or anything. In fact, I look so very strong.

Because I'm skilled at not acknowledging my pain.

Also, a parent like my mother, here in North America would have ended up in prison, and we would have grown up in foster care.

I take my mother over foster care, BTW, at least when she wasn't around, that was MY HOUSE.

Another point: I'm highly sensitive and a female. Think of how different I am from a non highly sensitive male.

Anonymous said...

yes, gender difference may play a role here. but he is still a highly sensitive person, even though he can weather any storm it seems. i wonder if abuse tends to make people highly sensitive?

Unrepentant said...

Not sure that abuse makes you highly sensitive. Having paranoid parents may, though.

My mother saw danger everywhere. She was obsessed with safety. She analyzed what people said to see if they were trying to take advantage of her or trying to offend her, for instance.

I imagine that having a mother like that would make a person overly alert to the outside world. It would be the immune system's equivalent of catching any virus that goes by.

Anonymous said...

hmm, that makes sense. at least for me. my mom was very fearful.

Temaskian said...

Perhaps your mother is also highly sensitive. It could be genetic.

Unrepentant said...

It could be genetic, yes. The books do say that highly sensitive folks also have highly sensitive bodies, as in experiencing pain more acutely than others.

Perhaps the genetic problem can be worsen by nurture.

Maybe those of us who are HS and also have ignorant parents who misguided us and gave us no tools to face life just have it worse than the pure HS's.

For example, if my mother would've taught me to keep my mouth shout when in a disagreeable situation, I wouldn't have been hurt so much. I wouldn't be as wounded.

starry eyed said...

Wow. And I thought attachment disorder was only in kids who've been institutionalised. But I've also learned that another thing I'd always attributed to institutionalisation i.e. rejection/feeling unwated can happen even when kids are in their families of birth.

Unrepentant said...

Yes, Starry.

There are good mothers, mediocre mothers, and horrible mothers.

My mother was anything but a saint.