Saturday, November 21, 2009

On being judgmental

I always thought that judging people and situations was a necessary evil. I thought it protected us from the unexpected. If I could know the character of a person by the first signs on new acquaintance, I could know whether I could trust them or not, whether they would bring me disappointment or joy.

I always thought that my ability to judge a person or situation was my greatest asset. I thought I was a psychic of sorts, that I could get to know the heart of a person right away.

As it turns out, I now believe I was only partially correct. The mistake was in translating the first impression to all areas or a person or situation. For instance, If, say, I met you one day, and you seemed absent and disinterested. I would’ve jumped to the conclusion that you were snob, nasty, and likely to hurt me.

Maybe yes. It is quite possible that your coldness was likely to hurt such a sensitive person as me. But I was wrong in labeling all of you based on those character traits.

You may be cold and disinterested, but you may be extremely smart and even caring if I ever have a problem and need immediate assistance. In fact, I may, at the beginning, need to keep you at arm’s length, while I get to know you better, so that I avoid taking your personal pet peeves personally. Maybe I should watch you interact with others so as to know that you’re not particularly snob toward me but treat everybody the same.

There are many aspects to a person: some good some bad. But I have been making the mistake of writing people off completely based on one-or-two peculiarities that I find annoying. If I judge everyone like that, I will always find something that annoys me.

But attitudes like mine, unfortunately, go beyond one-on-one relationships. Organizations, places, cultures, cuisines, situations and many areas of life are also judged with the same mentality. No wonder I find the world so violent and threatening.

Given my recent troubles with the organization I’ve been working with, I came to conclude that a large part of my suffering is rushing to judge situations, as either good or bad.

After much thinking, I realized that my situation with the contact woman seemed awful. But the manager was nice. She is making a mistake trusting her non-technical employee with this project. But it is giving me the opportunity to learn new skills that pay well in the work place. The bad-but-good list went on and on.

Then I realized that situations JUST are. Not good, awful, perfect, or terrible, but just are.

Instead of, for example, starting a job and being extremely happy that it is a great job, I should just think that IT IS a job. Some aspects of it will be good, some aspects will be bad, but in the end, the job JUST IS.

Same with people, most of them just are: good cooks, terrible skaters, great swimmers, good confidants, so-so conversationalists, good at math, bad at drawing, poor listeners, excellent bakers, etc., etc.

In sum, I should never put a person or a situation on either a pedestal or a pit. I should instead expect them to be a combo of qualities and faults. I should never expect that anything in my life can be judged in extremes. Good and evil are part of everything. There is no shortcut to knowing which mix I’m getting when meeting something or someone. I must get to know them slowly and take risks, cautiously so.

Yes, cautiously in that I should delay telling a person intimate problems until I’ve tested the waters with meaningless information to see if they spread rumors or not. Or seeing what they like to read before I trust them with my Jane Austen obsession.

Once I know where I stand, I can move on to manage the situation. I’ve decided, for instance, that the non-profit I’m volunteering for is quite disorganized. I will, then, write proposals for every step of the way and will have them sign. That way, we will all know what to expect. Were they more organized, perhaps I wouldn’t need to be so extreme. But they just are who they are, and I can’t change them. I can just manage my relationship with them.

Spending energy being too happy or too sad about anyone or anything is a waste of energy, I think. Better to live knowing that dealing with both friends and foes is a fact of life. And when foes show up, they need to be managed, not run away from or fought.

Most people probably learn that stuff in kindergarten, or just from their parents growing up. Some of us, though, learn in our 40’s. Better than never.

This past week, I found much comfort on telling myself that life just is. Things just are. People just are. Situations just are. The second I remember that, all the pressure seems to go away, for some reason. Maybe it is that I no longer need to be speculating, trying to predict the future, reach conclusions. I just have to be.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful post. you sound so peaceful and calm here :) i'm so glad you are feeling better about the work situation. that is certainly one thing that can be so great about crappy situations, when we can find that part of us that is hurt or upset by this situation that triggers us, we can heal that part and feel so much better in general.

i can relate to your feelings on this one too. though i never thought i was judgmental before, i can see now the various ways i am and have been. times i thought i was just being "cautious" or "self-protective" - i was actually limiting myself by seeing life through a lens of fear and pessimism.

hope you're having a nice week~~~

Anonymous said...

speaking of jane austen~ have you taken this quiz yet? or do you think these are silly?

http://www.strangegirl.com/emma/quiz.php

:)

Unrepentant said...

Glad you liked my post. I'm actually having a decent week. I hope I'm out of the woods for a while now.

---0----

Oh my gosh! That quiz says I'm Marianne Dashgood. Something is wrong with that thing.

I think I'm Lizzy Bennett with the impulsiveness of Marianne. I'm just not idealistic enough, or like poetry enough, to be Marianne.

I'm glad the quiz didn't say I was Fanny Price, because there isn't a cell of victim in me.

I just bought the last version of Persuasion, it came with Sense & Sensibility the mini-series, awesome. I'm glad December is here. I watch JA movies in December :)

Anonymous said...

i'm glad you're having a nice week. that's great :)

as for the quiz, i can see how you are like marianne in that you are so sensitive and have such powerful emotions :) but i do see elizabeth bennet in you too.

i haven't seen any version of persuasion except for the british version with amanda root. i love it so much and love her as anne that i can't imagine watching another version. but i'd like to. and i didn't know about the s&s miniseries. is that bbc?

i found the ang lee version of s&s in a discount bin at the store a few months ago and was so excited to get it! i love kate winslett and emma thompson as marianne and eleanor.

how exciting and what a nice tradition you have for yourself in december ~~

Unrepentant said...

mmm,

Yes, it is a BBC mini-series of S&S, and it's really good, but the Emma Thomson one is quite good, too.

I've seen 3 versions of persuasion. Amanda Root did a great job as Anne Elliot.

This is the DVD set I just bought. Costco had it last week, BTW--a couple of weeks after I had mail ordered it for at least $10 more.

So, which one are you? I dare not guess.

Anonymous said...

hi unrepentant~ sorry for the late reply, i've been off the computer a lot lately. i have my result posted on my page actually. i came up with anne elliot from persuasion. it feels so true. i love her character so much and have always strongly identified. at least the way amanda root played her. but i need read the book of course :) you've also inspired me to watch other versions of these film adaptations. hope you're enjoying your december austen film festival so far~

and i hope you're having a nice week~~

Anonymous said...

did you see the film, "the jane austen book club"? i wonder what you would have thought of that one.

Unrepentant said...

The Jane Austen book club is one of my husband's favourite movies. You go figure!

He loves the fact that there is a guy with the male straightforward point of view is there.

Who thought of it? Some male screen writer whose wife is a Jane Austen freak, or a female JA freak.

Ann Elliot, huh? I can see that to a point, except that she was an introvert, private person, but if we are strict, no extrovert will ever match a JA leading lady.

Anonymous said...

huh, you mean i come across as an extrovert? i guess on the blog i am very expressive and open. but in my life i've always considered myself an introvert. not an extreme one though.

that's so sweet that your husband liked the JA book club. mine is reluctant to watch films he thinks will be too emotionally manipulative. i wonder what he would think of that one. it seems tame enough. i don't even think i cried.

thanks for this ongoing conversation. it's nice to get to talk with someone about JA.

Unrepentant said...

Well, you have said before that you talk a lot, which made me think that you were outgoing.

So you only talk a lot to people you know?

I talk a lot when I'm with people who are interested in my topics, like traveling. If I am around folks that don't care about my topics, I shut up.

Husband also likes the BJ Diaries, Miss Congeniality, Love Actually, Two Weeks Notice, and others.

What I love about him is that he is secure enough to like what he likes regardless of what others may think -- some of us can only dream...

Anonymous said...

yeah i have some social anxiety around people i don't know or in crowds, sometimes it takes me a while to feel comfortable with people. with certain individuals i can feel comfortable right away. but those people seem to be rare :) so around friends i'm likely to gab on and on. but around others i'm likely sitting there feeling awkward, but i try not to let on :)

what about you? i can see how you would be pretty private but i imagine around the select few you trust you feel more comfortable to say everything you want.

that's sweet about your husband :) i loved "love actually"~ my husband likes some drama and romantic things, but if they turn out to be sad he feels like he's been cheated or tricked somehow. he doesn't like for people to try to induce crying. he feels like life is too short and he would rather laugh. personally, you know i like a good cry now and then :)

Anonymous said...

oh i guess you already answered my question about who you feel comfortable being open around. i think i feel pretty much the same way as you. i think i need there to be some mutual interest to feel comfortable talking.

Unrepentant said...

Wow! Your husband has a heart. That's his "problem."

Mine only cries when he doesn't get his way. This weekend, we were going to take my brother, who visited from Texas, for Spanish food (food from Spain). We made the plans and at the last minute my sister changed them.

My husband's face was read and his eyes were moist. Almost in tears, he told me that he couldn't understand why we were going with them. He wanted Spanish food. We went for Brazilian, and he has fine in the end.

When it comes to romantic movies, he is able to stand the mushy stuff, as long as he can get a really funny line, eventually. Like in "2 weeks notice," He loves the diarrhea in the trailer scene, and the last one, when Hugh Grant is counting steps at her parent's apartment.

I am outgoing around friendly people. That is, people who really seem to listen and look at me when I talk. I will not bother with shallow folks who look around the room while pretending to talk to me, or who respond in monosyllables as in wanting to get rid of me as soon as possible.

Anonymous said...

oh yes certainly it's not a "problem" that he is this way :)

and my husband doesn't like changes in plan either. i am usually not this way. he likes things planned and routine, and disruption in expectations is jarring to him. i think it's because he had no stability in his youth.

i found your situation with the brazilian vs. spanish food endearing about you both.

and i think i feel the same as you regarding interacting with others. i want to spend time with people who i think genuinely care. not fake people, or people who aren't actually interested in anything i have to say.