Friday, March 19, 2010

Godless Positive Thinking

The problem I've found with positive thinking is not the concept itself. Yes, positive people do better in life. Yes, negative, grumpy, disagreeable people carry a black cloud over their heads and others tend to leave the room when they show up. True it is harder for such people to make it in life, with such a bad attitude--I used to be just like that, I know.

The problem I have with the concept is that when things go well for a positive-thinking person, certain people attribute the good fortune to specific magical powers of the universe, or god, or whatever.

But the truth is a simple one: positive people are fun to have around, and that's enough to help them do better in life.

I found an article which summarizes really well how I feel about positive thinking. Here is a portion of it.

Is there any magic employed here? No, it is all natural. When the attitude is positive we entertain pleasant feelings and constructive images, and see in our mind's eye what we really want to happen. This brings brightness to the eyes, more energy and happiness. The whole being broadcasts good will, happiness and success. Even the health is affected in a beneficial way. We walk tall and the voice is more powerful. Our body language shows the way you feel inside.


I'm trying to be positive these days, to not let life circumstances drag me down. That's why the issue keeps popping up in my mind.

7 comments:

Positive said...

Very nice post Unrepentant...

Thanks for putting it up !!

All the best for your interview !!

You could still affirm the following 2:

1. I love the company "Hutchison"

where Hutchison is the company you are going to attend the interview.

2. I love the products, services, quality, projects, systems, infrastructure, equipment, building itself, customers, owners... of Hutchison..

Unrepentant said...

Thanks, positive.

I still have to figure out what type of job to apply for!

Imagine that!

me as i am said...

i agree with you. i don't believe there's anything supernatural going on. though at the subatomic level things probably make sense.

i'm not a scientist though so i don't know really.

i just assume that there are explanations for things even if i don't know them.

Positive said...

Hi Unrepentant,

You know I had put up a comment and it just disappeared !!

I wanted to say:

You can affirm
I am totally open and receptive for working as the IT manager at Jane Austen's office in Toronto earning 200,000 CD anually for the next 25 years..


ha.. ha..

Unrepentant said...

Positive,

Now, that's an awesome idea. You're a genius. Thank you for the affirmation you mailed.

starry eyed said...

It does work, altho' it's bloddy difficult to keep the same level of positivity. Maybe even a minimal level of thinking positive is better than that dark cloud. I've sometimes just tried for the heck of it, visualising reaching my destination on a particularly busy route, and to my amazement, the traffic parts for me, signal stay green and policemen urge me to race thru to be the last car before they hold up their hands!! But I dunno if it takes a lot more strength of mind to visualise that kind of a road opening up ahead of us while looking for a job/friends/partner etc.

All the best to you :)

Unrepentant said...

Starry,

Thank you for reminding me that it works.

I am mostly using it for behaviour modification, for visualizing me doing the right thing. I figure that if I do things right, the results will be right.