Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Morning Meditation

I have finished the wonderful website I was doing, and now I really have to look for work. I called a government agency that helps folks with that sort of “problem” and made an appointment for a week today—the earliest one they had.

In the meantime, I am going to be researching what I can do. I was thinking that I can probably try to get a job at a liquor store. If I see Christians there, they won’t be able to tell anyone they met me at the liquor store.

I have “meditated” two days in a row. Done my way, meditation feels wonderful.

First I relax, telling my major body parts to relax. Then, with my eyes closed and deeply concentrated, I start stating everything I want with “I” statements. In other words, I say affirmations but I don’t prepare them or read them. I say what I want to accomplish, from the depths of my soul.

For instance, I’ve been saying that I have a job, that I can easily handle the pressures of employment, that I know how to relax in times of distress.

To me, there is nothing mystical or weird about that. It is entirely practical. If I want to change the way I think, I need to reprogram myself, and what better way that brainwashing myself to believe I’m already the person I want to become?

A lot of that stuff I learned while visiting pagan churches, Unity and Science of Mind. But when I was in their midst, I failed to understand their language. For instance, for dealing with difficult people, they always told me to speak to others’ Higher Self.

Excuse me, but if you tell me that, you have to define Higher Self. They all have their own definitions and nothing made sense to me. They mangle it up with the idea that we’re all god, and end up saying that I’m talking to god, because they’re god. The “G” word turned me off right away.

Recently, I told my counselor that I had finally understood the concept. I said to her, “Higher Self is the pure, intact person I was before life screwed me up.” She agreed.

Today during meditation, I had another breakthrough. I realized that regardless of a person’s outward appearance, deep down inside most people are good in their core, as exemplified by how everybody helps during emergencies. If when I talk to people I oversee the stuff that bothers me and remember that deep down there is another person who is pure and good, I can deal with them better. I can appeal to that side of them and be more successful.

That is important to me, because there is too much that annoys me about people, and I tend to let their outer shell define how I treat them. If I know that the outer shell is there for a reason, and that they have a core of goodness, I can relate to them with more faith and hope.

Also during meditation, I’ve been telling myself that I can do it. That I have what it takes to find a job. That I deserve one. That somebody out there needs my skills, and I will find out who that is.

If anything else, meditating in the morning keeps me hopeful. I love it and hope that I will have the discipline to stick to it.

8 comments:

Zoe said...

It all sounds encouraging UR.

I really hope you can find work.

My meditation takes place in the garden. I put in a whole day out there just loving it. I love the rest my brain gets from all the other stuff that so often occupies it. Maybe I should try this indoor meditation too. :-)

I laughed about the liquor store and the Christians not being able to tell others that they saw you there.

Unrepentant said...

Thank you for finally gathered courage to leave me a comment here, Zoe.

I actually laughed when I typed that, thinking of the expression on their faces when they realized that I had seen them buying booze.

I wonder what hardcore atheists would think if they knew we meditate.

me as i am said...

ooh wow, i love this post! it made me smile a few times. very inspiring. and i could relate. that is how i try to see people too!

and that's interesting about trying to talk to someone's higher self. that would have confused me too. and i too would have been confused or repelled by being told to talk to the god in them.

i'm finding i'm having to do a lot of translating these days as i try to get something from what i see as the wisdom that can be found in religious philosophy.

i think i would have come to the same conclusion you did. i think the way i might translate it for myself is by talking to someone's higher self, it's like imagining that deep down, people want to be good and do the right thing, and if you expect them to be jerks and treat them like jerks, you're probably going to get a jerk. but if you treat them like a good person who is going to try to understand and respect others, then you might be able to reach that part of them.

people are surprising. and even people you would never imagine could be sensitive, have their own abilities to be introspective and communicative.

i'm off to read your next post now.

thank you for sharing this one. it is wonderful~~

me as i am said...

oh, and i just read your comment back to zoe. are atheists opposed to meditation usually? i don't think you have to believe in anything cosmic or supernatural to appreciate meditation. in fact, i think meditation can be looked at very scientifically and psychologically. it relaxes the body, which is so good for us physically because we're so tense all the time. and the affirmations and thinking you can choose to do, or the letting go of all thoughts and trying to achieve stillness of mind, all of it seems so healthy to me as far as changing our destructive thinking patterns, and getting better able to be healthily detached from our emotions and less wrapped up in our egos. doesn't seem religious at all to me.

Unrepentant said...

Katie,

Yes, with that stuff you have to translate a lot. What annoys me is that those folks are really atheists, but they keep the hope going by using the name of God in weird ways.

I got really tired of translating. But the stuff stuck, since I read so much. I'm finding the wisdom behind it, all by myself, years later.

Why do they have to make it so complicated?

As for atheists, yes, most of them look down on meditation. It's ignorance. That's what it is. They even look down on psychology.

That's why my blog, the other one, is different. That type of atheist rarely comments on there, since I never go to theirs.

Zoe said...

I'm trying to get to the point that I don't care what the "hard core" atheists think of me. *grin*

Unrepentant said...

Zoe,

Good for you. I don't know how much I care. But I know I don't like to argue with them.

Most of them don't come to our blogs, though. I don't know if you've notice the trend, but it seems that ex-Christians are increasingly hanging out with ex-Christians mostly.

Maybe it is because the number of ex-Christians is increasing, so now we don't have to put up with the other ones.

Zoe said...

I think we have a unique perspective that can make a life-time &/or more militant non-theist personality type lose patience with us. I've even noted a new term out there for the non-theist or atheist. The term is "accomodationist." Yes, they are the one's who are just too tolerant or too kind or not in enough of a "huff" about those nasty nasty believers. I would be an accomodationist to most atheists.

I'd have to say that I have cared and it's what gradually has silenced me. I think I'm working through that but it hasn't been easy. :-)