Sunday, March 7, 2010

House, Again

I guess we’re thinking of selling in May, and now the work starts, since well, as you could see on the Vancouver Olympics broadcast, we didn’t get a winter here. Mild weather and the end of the Olympics was the deadline. Spring has arrived, early, and I actually hired a stager to tell us how to change our home to make it better. Those were the best $125 CND ever spent.

She told us what colour to paint the house, how to place the furniture, how to stage the bedrooms, what stuff to remove, etc. And by using her name we get 30% off on the paint. I’m thinking that the paint discount will pay her fee.

Anyhow, Now I have my hands full. So full it isn’t funny. I have to finish power washing the fence, and then I have to stain it. I also have to paint the shed and the sundeck. Weeds need removing, flower beds need to be weeded and improved, etc. I have weeks of work just on the backyard.

The three outside doors and mouldings need to be painted—thank goodness the garage door got painted recently, as did the woodwork around windows and such. It's also great that the vinyl siding doesn’t require painting.

Inside, we have to paint all walls and some baseboards and fix the kitchen cabinets, as some of them are peeling off. The upstairs carpet, that looks like an old kitchen rug, needs to go, and I must figure out what to switch to. My husband will do his half when he comes home from work everyday.

It is good to be busy, though. I’m actually having fun, and houses do need to be taken care of. So I am glad this one is getting a facelift. Wish me luck! Selling a house for the first time is an adventure and a learning experience.

1 comment: