Thursday, March 18, 2010

Time to Face my Fears

I was going through a list of posted jobs, sequentially, and found two that almost had my name of them.

That was 24 hours ago and I haven’t done anything about it. Why? Because I am on the ground fiercely fighting my fears. What fears?

What will I say on the interview? So Mrs. A, why have you been away from the workforce for so long? Can you work in a team, Mrs. A? Can you work under pressure?

I am also afraid that my strong personality will turn employers off. I’m afraid that they’ll be afraid to offer me a “meager” salary, given that I used to be a hot-shot programmer.

I have fear, after fear, after fear. The good news is that I have no choice. I’m that bird standing on the edge of the nest knowing that if she doesn’t throw herself into the air and starts flying, mommy will push her, and she’ll have to fly anyway.

I suppose that I will have to tell myself that the first few interviews and resumes will just be practice runs, that it will be so until I land a job.

So Mrs. A., why haven’t you work for so long? Because I was scare s*less.

OK, enough of that. I will work on my resume now.

3 comments:

me as i am said...

you are very brave.

who knows, maybe one of those jobs is the one for you. and maybe you would get to the interview and feel instantly comfortable with the person.

personally, i just go and try to be myself. i don't plan ahead what i'm going to say.

i can relate though to what you're saying as i have been feeling more anxious as i think about reentering the workforce now that i've been a stay at home mom for a couple of years. i'm concerned about how to answer that same question about the gap in my employment. and concerned about what biases people may have towards mothers in the workplace. maybe they won't want to hire me because they know i'll want to leave work whenever my kid gets sick.

but as for the interview, i think i'm going to try to think of what i've "gotten out of" being a mom so far that i think would make me appealing to an employer. that might help.

i'm sure you'll be able to think of good answers to any questions you will be asked. my husband likes to plan things out ahead of time. rehearse. read practice questions.

whatever works for you. whatever helps you feel more at ease. i know it will be scary, but i believe in you :)

me as i am said...

i should have said, i never used to plan ahead what i was going to say.

obviously now things are different and i've given these matters some thought.

Unrepentant said...

I find that, for me, it is best to practice for job interviews. But it may be geography.

A couple of reasons why location is an issue for me: (1) Lots of people in the country want to live here, the Canadian version of California, so we compete with many people for a meager job; (2) The British-like culture requires perfection when it comes to manners and people's skills--my weak point.

So, yeah, I have to practice my pleases and my thank yous and the kind things I will say about everyone and sundry. It's no different from a movie star giving a press conference, where everything they say may be used against them.

Of course, the locals don't have that problem. They just have to be themselves.